Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Getting back to the basics...

So I've taken on the responsability of providing bread for our table. I'm tired of paying for huge baguettes that go unusable after just a day and end up being wasteful. I have been using the "no knead" recipe for several weeks and even using only half the recipe (which the dough lasts for around 2 weeks so you can make small loaves/bouelles) with a little planning you can have fresh bread with your dinner meal. Spectacular!

First, I'll give you the original youtube.com video as to how to make the dough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFJZPm-_2-M&feature=related

and now photos of my last two loaves....


You can use oiled pans to shape the loaves but I like the bouelle. And you can pull a large or small amount from the dough you prepare. That way there is no waste. I think everyone should do this as there's really no reason not to if you care about what you eat. Or especially what you photograph. ;)
I will say that as hard as I try to come up with a VERY good meal, having it topped with a nice bread that was made in my home by my own hands is just a perfect bonus. I've used it as addons and also as the main course for sandwiches (blackend chicken with spinach leaves, sliced tomatoes and melted feta/blue cheese spread). Kind of a "fast food be damned" moment. I understand those moments - thank you Wendy's - but when you can counter them, it really means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment